LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE IN SUPPORTING LEARNING IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SCHOOL SPORT (L2 PESS)
Developed in partnership with the Association for Physical Education (AfPE), the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport aims to provide learners with an introduction to a number of roles through an engagement with PE and School Sport (PESS), including teaching, activity leadership and coaching for young people. The qualification provides learners with guidance on further opportunities in the field, including how to contribute to PESS programmes as a sports leader, coach or teaching assistant. While this qualification is delivered through the medium of PESS, the skills may be used by learners in working in other sporting environments, under appropriate guidance.
The qualification provides:
• a basis on which to make informed choices about an appropriate career in Physical Education and School Sport
• an opportunity to develop an understanding of supporting learning in Physical Education and School Sport
• an opportunity to develop Physical Education and School Sport knowledge and skills that can be applied to different educational and school related settings, such as after-school coaching
• an introduction to a career as a Physical Education teacher
• an introduction to other opportunities to work as Physical Education and School Sport professionals, e.g. Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Coach, Sports Development Officer or Sport Leader
This course consists of nine mandatory units and the learner must complete all of them to gain 18 credits in order to achieve this qualification.
• Understanding Key Legislation related to Physical Education and School Sport
• Principles of teaching Physical Education and coaching School Sport
• Principles of safe practice in Physical Education and School Sport
• Principles of child development through movement
• Promoting lifelong health and well-being
• Principles of inclusion in Physical Education and School Sport
• Preparing for Physical Education and School Sport activity
• Leading Physical Education and School Sport activity
• Concluding and reviewing Physical Education and School Sport activity
The course will require regular contact with your tutor (distance learning available) and workshop sessions, plus a final assessment.
Course Start and Duration:
The course will take a minimum of 6 months, but you will have up to one year to complete in full. Courses have many start dates, but these will usually be the first Monday of each month.
Coursework, a portfolio of evidence and practical assignment/demonstration will all be assessed.
What you will receive:
• Bespoke one to one tutorials
• Unique reading aids and learning material
Upon passing the course, you will receive the following qualification, accredited by 1st4Sport: Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport
On-site/Distance Learning - £360
We can arrange a payment plan for you upon payment of an initial deposit at enrolment, but please bear in mind that you will only receive your qualification once the whole course fee has been paid in full.
• You must be at least 16 years of age to attend the programme of training
• You must be able to communicate effectively in English (includes speaking, listening, reading and writing)
• As the programme will be distance learning you will need access to a computer and the internet.
If you are studying this course as part of an apprenticeship…
• You need to be working in a paid environment within the sport, fitness or health industry (or ideally in a school)
• You will need to hold GCSE Grades A* – C in English and Maths, but if you don’t have evidence of this from within the last 5 years we will put you through to do the Functional Skills in one or both subjects while you’re studying the course with us.
• You must not hold a degree in a similar discipline or related field in order to enroll.
HOW DO I ENROL?
Our course application form is attached below. Please complete it as fully as you can (to speed up your application) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also use this form if you have any questions, or pick up the phone and call our team on 01257 278 131.